Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.jamlanguage.com/blog
and update your bookmarks.

Friday 16 July 2010

!mamadisima!



On Thursday night we decided to meet Isaac, perhaps Monterrey’s best-kept secret. We were lucky to meet him on the second day we arrived in Mexico at the Monterrey Polo club, and lets just say he’s made our stay here memorable.

So there we were, Felipe, Nicola and I, meeting Isaac at The Corner pub in San Pedro. When we arrived we were introduced to Franco who took one look at me and mumbled to Isaac “Wey, esta mamadisima, me puede cargar!”.You can imagine my intrigue. Mamadisima?!!! What?!?! I asked Isaac but he just giggled and then giggled some more. Now, I was really intrigued. Finally he broke down and explained it meant you’re really fit. Hmmmm, I suspected Isaac was sugar coating the definition so I asked the table next to ours where Jonaz, Alejandro and Carlos said it meant either 'very muscular' or 'very drunk'. It was the beginning of my evening so I was definitely not drunk. That only left the incredible hulk translation (just google images: mamadisimo and see for yourself!). Wow! While the guys assured me it was not derogatory, the translation “Man, she’s very muscular she can carry me” didn’t particularly sound like a compliment either. Even though “Mamadisima” was a borderline insult it did break the ice with Jonaz, Alejandro and Carlos.

As it turned out Jonaz was the guitarist and vocalist of Plastilina Mosh, an indie pop band from Monterrey, Mexico, which has been rocking since 1998. Most notably recognised by the release of the “Pervert Song” from their “All U Need Is Mosh” album. See, there is always a silver lining J.
Mamadisimo and Mamada all come from the root word "mamar" which means "to suck". "Que mamada" means how cool, which is what the guys said when I told them my name was “Ms. Petit” The point being that not only do you get insults from the root word "mamar" but luckily also compliments since I don’t think I could handle 2 insults in one night :)


JAM English Flashcards: Fruit and Vegetables available online at jam.shop now!

No comments:

Post a Comment