Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.jamlanguage.com/blog
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday 4 August 2009

Looking for a way to practice your English?

Earlier this year I went to Sainsburys on a very busy Saturday morning and helped a little, old lady at the checkout counter with packing her shopping as she was visibly exhausted. The supermarket was incredibly busy (why do people get so angry when they are shopping!) and all she wanted to do was sit down. I asked her if she needed help getting home but she said she had transport from Shop Mobility on the corner. As I had been looking for a charity to volunteer for I thought I would pop in and see what they were all about.

Shop Mobility provides assistance to those who can't get around very easily. They have a supply of wheelchairs and volunteers to help people do their shopping and run errands. You can volunteer one morning a week or every day if you wanted. They are really flexible which is great as I can change days to fit my schedule. It's only 2 hours of my morning and makes me get out of bed!

The elderly make up a large proportion of their clientele and I've made some great friends through my volunteer work. They all have incredible stories, funny little anecdotes and love to just have someone to talk to for an hour or two. This is a great way to practice your conversational English and to give back to the community at the same time.

Visit your nearest Shop Mobility.

JAM Language English Flashcards are coming soon! www.jamlanguage.com


No comments:

Post a Comment