Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.jamlanguage.com/blog
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday 6 August 2009

Sana'a Yemen


My arrival in Sana'a, Yemen symbolizes a major milestone for me.  It was a New Year's resolution and one that I am proud to actually be executing.  For years, I dreamt of coming to this untainted land filled with so much history and veiled with mystery.     Thus far this experience has been a true test of my ability to adapt.  Yemen has been the most challenging of countries I have encountered throughout my travels in the Middle East.  Perhaps it's that for the first time, I travel alone without the usual benefits of traveling for a corporation.  Perhaps I feel a little vulnerable because it's one of the few places where I do not know anyone.    Maybe its because I wear abaya not out of indulgence and pleasure but out of necessity.  But probably more than anything else it's because, for once I am unable to communicate freely.  I understand now more than ever the power of language.  Without it you are handicapped.  Without language you are unable to negotiate, express, command ( :)) and most importantly exchange intellect.  I am grateful to finally have the opportunity to study Arabic in Sana'a and look forward to bridging the language gap. 
NOTE:  Arabic Jam Flashcards Coming Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment