Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.jamlanguage.com/blog
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday 3 September 2009

Education = Peace

Three Cups of Tea: One Man’s Mission to Promote Peace…One School At A Time.

A teacher friend recommended that I read Three Cups of Tea and I couldn’t put it down. It tells the story of Greg Mortenson who manages to successfully establish schools in some of the most remote regions of Afghanistan and Pakistan.

His aim is to balance the extremists madrassas by providing an alternative - free, unbiased education for both girls and boys. The first village he helped was so poor they could not afford the $1-a-day salary to hire a teacher. I hadn’t realised that this was one of the main techniques that the Taliban employ – by financing schools and providing free education to the poor they are able to recruit students easily as there is / was no other alternative.

I know that education can sometimes be taken for granted particularly by those who have had unlimited access to it. I can’t imagine my life without the schools I went to, the things I’ve learnt and the experiences I’ve taken away with me – they have contributed to make me the person I am today. In the same way, I would hope that the girls and boys who go to one of the schools funded by Greg Mortenson and the Central Asia Institute (CAI) will make evident how important education is as a part of the peace process.

If you haven’t read this book - read it and be inspired!

JAM English Flashcards are now available!





No comments:

Post a Comment