Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.jamlanguage.com/blog
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday 6 September 2009

A Student Essay


One of the most rewarding privileges of being  a teacher is having the opportunity to read student essays.  The laborious task of in class written assignments and homework gives the students an opportunity to contemplate a variety of ideas and experiences.  The end result gives the teacher a glimpse into the students’ dreams, aspirations, fears and life stories.   

The following essay was selected among over 60 written assignments I reviewed during my English teaching stint at Mali Institute in Sanaa, Yemen.    I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

I have always dreamed of visiting my village because my parents and relatives have always told me that it is charming, beautiful and worth-seeing.  They told me that It would exceed my expectations. So, I decided to visit the village. I  finally visited it last month with my dad and family.

When we arrived, I was surprised because it was much better than I had expected.  It really is a unique place with its river, springs, green mountains and hills.  I quickly realized that the village is worthy of being the most famous of all.  I was really excited when I saw the houses on the top of the mountains among the clouds.

The people are very generous and kindhearted. While we were chewing Qat, they were telling me folk stories and jokes.  They are also open-hearted, modest and distinguished by their simplicity and informality.  Because of their sweet demeanor I have felt that there were no boundaries between us.  Of course there were no amenities such as; supermarkets, gyms, clubs etc..., but there were many things which are not available in Sana’a such as tranquility and quietness.

Although I was saddened by the poverty and illiteracy in the village, I have enjoyed my time there.  It was a unique experience in my life and through my journey I found out that living in the countryside is better than living in a city.  

This essay was written by Salah Towfeek Altwaiti, one of my Level 6B English students.  He was among three Air Traffic Controllers from Sana’a International Airport which were registered in my class.  He is married with children and he dreams of one day traveling the world to learn about other cultures.   In his essay he describes his visit to the Ibb Province.  


JAM Language Ltd, English Flash cards; Fruit & Vegetables available at AMAZON UK and AMAZON USA

No comments:

Post a Comment