Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.jamlanguage.com/blog
and update your bookmarks.

Monday 10 May 2010

Madrid - Dirty.jam


Sorry kids, Dirty.jam is only suitable for adults 18+ years old

Sometimes the difference between being an outsider and/or in the know or just plain understanding what is being said . . . is the SLANG. While Spanish is my mother tongue, when I first arrived in Madrid I could sit through an entire conversation with “Spaniards” and have absolutely no idea what they were talking about!!!! So in an effort to save you the embarrassment here are some essentials:

“Me lo pase Pipa!” = I had a pipe time

Translation: The phrase comes from having a good time while smoking a pipe, so if you “had a pipe time”, well you had a pretty good time. CAUTION: Pipa not PipaS as plural refers to popcorn. I made this mistake and when my Spaniard friends were done being amused they let me in on the fact that I had been running around Madrid having a “popcorn” time…

“…es la Ostia” “que Ostia” = It’s the holy communion

Translation: It’s the bomb as one would say in the USA simply meaning it’s the best of the best. CAUTION: Men say it all the time but its frowned upon when women say this expression. It’s considered too crude given the religious context. I also made this mistake and got nasty looks. J

“Eres un Crack” = You’re a crack

Translation: This nice piece of Spanglish means you are “switched on”... clever. If said “Eres un crack tio”… tio translates to man not uncle ie. You’re switched on man.

“Me estoy comiendo los mocos” = I’m eating my snot

Translation: Not literally … it just means you are bored.

“Que CoƱaso” = What a cunt/pussy

Translation: Usually used to describe someone who is no fun to be around or a shitty situation. CAUTION: Everyone will say it (somehow its always sprinkled somewhere in the conversation) so don't take offense as its not considered offensive unless off course they are talking about you L

JAM English Flashcards: Fruit and Vegetables available online at jam.shop now!

No comments:

Post a Comment