Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.jamlanguage.com/blog
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday 25 March 2010

Learning Portuguese


I have been learning Brazilian Portuguese off and on for the past year. Now that I have arrived in Sao Paulo the focus on learning has become much more urgent and intense. Very few people speak English here, which is great as it forces me to use my most basic Portuguese to try and communicate. I am currently looking for a Portuguese teacher but in the meantime am left to my own devices to learn.

English – Portuguese / Portuguese – Ingles Dictionary
Grammar Book
Verb Book
STICKIES AROUND OUR APARTMENT
Music
Watching TV, in particular Globo novelas (shows dubbed in Portuguese or with Portuguese subtitles)
Children comic books

But the best way to learn is to communicate! Every day I set myself a task where I have to communicate with taxi drivers, information counters, waiters, check out assistants etc. This week I've managed to send a letter at the post office, book flights to Curitiba and deposit some money at a bank!

Obviously this list is not exhausted but would appreciate any other ideas that have worked for others learning a language.

Also, I am looking for a Portuguese teacher in Pinheiros, Sao Paulo. Please contact me if you are a teacher or if you are interested in doing a language exchange.

1 comment:

  1. You should definitely take a look at LingQ (www.lingq.com). Many hours of audio and podcasts to download in natural Portuguese all with accompanying transcript and the tools to learn the new vocabulary you meet. By focusing on input when you aren't interacting with locals, you will prepare yourself to succeed when you do interact. Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete